Sunday, August 2, 2009

Relationships

Woody Allan's Annie Hall (1977), although both hilarious and depressing, gave a pretty accurate study of relationships. In the end of the film, and hopefully I'm not spoiling the ending for everyone, the main character says to the audience "You know how your always trying to get things to come out perfect in art because it's real difficult in life." This is a key point I've observed: Every romantic movie by the end everything goes perfect, but in the real world it's never clear cut like that.

This is going to make me seem extremely shallow, possibly more so then some of you may already think, but at any point in my life since I was about 14, I've always had a crush on at least 3 girls (single of course...well with the exception of one), usually there's one girl that topples over the others. I can never find myself to fall for just one, I've never figured why, probably cause in an instance where I make a move and ask that one girl out, it usually doesn't work so it never hurts to still have something left so your not completely out of lucky. The rare time I actually get into a relationship, I tend to completely drop all those girls I've had crushes on out of the picture and concentrate on the one I'm with. Ironically although the girls i usually do have crushes on, tend to break up with their guys, or suddenly quest a relationship around the exact same time I just gave up on the others to be in one (life works strangely that way). If it's a relationship I want to try make work, considering my extremely limited experience of relationships, I only focus on that one girl, try and learn from my failing past experiences, and just go with the flow. However in all cases previously within a month on average it fades out and I'm left back on the bottom which during this time, all the girls I crushed on previously whom were looking, have either found a guy or have given up the search, which leaves me back in square one. It's a paradox really.

Well now I've hit an interesting chapter, since being back into the single life everything's started over, in which all cases have ended negatively. Either I discover they have or newly acquired some guy, or something in my mind just clicks and I think it's just better to be simply friends, that a relationship with this girl would either work great and we'd work really well together, or it'll be a complete foul up and afterwords it just becomes uncomfortable. So now i'm at this rare, i donno, dead space. Not to sound completely depressing or anything, just a strange unknown feeling, it's sorta like purgatory (again I don't mean to sound intentionally depressing, i'm sure purgatory is a decent place) A friend of mine came up with a great phrase, "Winter Warmth" Hopefully I really don't to explain it and you get the general concept, but I thought to myself that's it's a good idea. Something that gets rid of the long distance relationship equation (something that i've become aware simply never works, with the exception of a few cases) and it fits the limited period of school left for most college/university students, allowing a relationship to last while both parties are at school, and when school ends one of two outcomes can emerge: A) The two of you part ways as distance or other variables may be factors in realizing it won't work over the summer, being a mutual understanding of course, or B) Both parties really do love each other and strive to make it work (the kind that lasts a good year or two at least) This concept is really win-win for both involved.

Another strange concept out there is that guys are almost always having to make the first move and ask out some girl (single guys obviously), but it's rare that a girl will be crushing on a guy would make this move. Now I mean of course i accept that it is possible, but where a guy goes and actually makes the first move, a girl will almost never do. It's somehow a necessary part of our society that the guy has to make the first move, to assert some kind of, I donno I was trying to avoid the word "phallis" or "manhood" in this note, so you get what I'm getting at at least. Here's the thing, women keep fighting for equality, so why don't they go out of their way to make the first move? it would make it a lot easier for guys not to be burdened with this.

The movies might portray relationships as some sort of metaphysical ideal that reality can never achieve the standards of, but even in real life, sometimes a curve ball can be thrown, something becomes unexpected and it changes some aspect of your life previously. And who knows, maybe this new chapter will be interesting, who the hell knows what can happen now. This curve ball may open ideas and opportunity's never before considered, and even if my friends concept is ever proven right, who knows what could grow from that. Or maybe (and this is almost an impossibility) maybe some girl will find me cute and ask me out, at this stage who the hell knows. It's gonna be fun finding out what happens now.

No comments:

Post a Comment